Thursday, September 30, 2010

Thinking about vaccinations

Last week there was a meningitis case in Dominic's Montessori class. It turned out to be caused by a tick and was thankfully not contagious. I'm glad that they kept the tick and therefore the little boy could be treated right away with the correct medicine and recovered within just a few days.
Nevertheless, it was rather scary and made me realize that I procrastinated giving Juliana her vaccinations.

I had been reading about vaccines and had decided to go with the alternative vaccine schedule by Dr. Sears. However, when I went to her 2 month appointment, our Doc was so convinced that the usual schedule would be fine, that I gave in and agreed to give her the common shots at that time. Well, she was rather fuzzy the whole day and needed to be held constantly (which was very unusual at the time as she usually was complaining when she was being held too long - she usually wanted to get down the floor and move her little arms and legs). When it was time for her 4 month appointment, we went to the check up but I told them that we would go to shots for tots for the next vaccines.

Well, we haven't been there yet... Even though Dominic got all the vaccines just like the Doc recommended (we were postponing the Hep for D and J), I am thinking about alternatives with Juliana. Oh, and I find it very difficult when they want me to help/watch my child being held down on the table to get the shots! Even the little babies! When I went to the Shots for tots with Dominic, he could be on my lap - no problems there!

No comments: